Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Banded bushtits at Reed feeder

Gary Granger, whose office is right on the Reed College campus, has been a huge help in keeping me abreast of color-banded Reed bushtits over the winter.  Here are some wonderful pictures he sent to me from his feeder last winter.   Thank you, Gary!


Great photo with some of the color bands I mentioned in my last blog.
The bird on the upper left is GYYX.  You can just see his left leg under
him.  The bird next to him has two F bands and we can't see the other
leg.  So it would coded as FF??. I happen to know this is a female:
FFFX who we call "EffEx."
In this photo (on the left), you can see a YX on one leg (I happen to know this is GYYX).  On the right is a male with a bit of suet and two striped bands (AA).  He would be coded ??AA.  See?  Those striped bands aren't that bad, are they?  I know him and he is AXAA (affectionately referred to as Captain America)  
I'm posting this one because it's the best photo of an aluminum band.  You can
see that it looks white, but is longer than other bands
There are three banded birds in this photo!  Two are already in photos above: GYYX and AX?? (probably AXAA).
But the third, at the very top center, is a female banded XWRL ("ExWhirl"). She was paired with GYYX that year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment