Friday, March 6, 2020

Back in Portland....

......and the field season begins!

From now on, on good weather days when I can get out in the field, I'll be reporting what I see scattered with tidbits and details about the relevant behaviors.   My hope will be that blog readers will become as attached and interested by what goes on with the bushtits in Portland as I am.

Nests are being built, I am certain, so keep your eyes peeled for bushtits carrying nesting material --- especially big blobs of spiderweb.  Or their large hanging nests.
This one was right on Reed campus 2018 near a dorm and was very cryptic.  The parents were AXAA (Captain America) and FFFX (F-X).  One of the female juveniles showed a great deal of interest in the second nest for quite a while before they fledged, but never helped feeding.  Right before it fledged, some unknown predator ripped the bottom out of the nest, but not deep enough to get to the kids and all was fine!!   I couldn't find the nest of AXAA and FFFX last year although I looked.   I know they were still around because they visited the Reed suet feeder.  Ah well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment