Monday, March 16, 2020

Bushtits......and the pandemic....

A cheerful flock of bushtits just appeared in the bushes out my front window and made their way around to the back of the house, a bit disappointed that my suet feeders aren't up, I'm guessing.  They are a reminder to me that they are still hanging out in their flocks even as late as 10AM and so are not entirely serious about nesting.....yet.  

But that doesn't mean nests aren't being built.  It doesn't even mean some nests aren't finished already.   It just means no one is incubating yet.  

In all probability these these little flocks (tintinnabulation's, twitters, or whatever we will decide) will break up into subgroups of pairs and contenders for females and nests later in the day as it warms.   That's really what I'm seeing now.  I am rarely running across a single pair building solo.  There always seems to be one or more bushtits hanging out with little chases and even courtship around the nesting areas which are, not surprisingly, about where nests were last year.  

As I watched the flock from the safety of my house, I contemplated what this year's season will look like given the current and future state of the pandemic.  I think (so far) I'm pretty safe heading out by myself and finding nests in the open air.  I have two assistants who (so far) seem ok with that scenario as well.  My plan, as an elder, is to do most of my searching alone to avoid exposure as much as I can.  My two assistants (both in their 20s) can work together if they like as their risk of complications is much lower and and I think they would enjoy the company.  But I'll leave that up to them.  

I think we are all safe watching nests in the field.   That's a solitary endeavor no matter what.  Solitary except for the bushtits, of course. 

The big compromise I think I will have to make this year will be catching and banding birds.  Although I can do that alone, I need help setting up the net and that involves less personal distance than recommended.  Taking blood is even worse because I need to be in very close contact with my assistant.  

And so I am faced with a dilemma:  Do I take the risks I will have to take to continue my study this year?  Or do I stay at home as I have been instructed to and lose this field season and all the interesting information I would get from birds I already know ---- birds that may not be around next year at all ---- to stay as safe as possible.  

I don't know yet.  

But my problems are nothing compared those who are ill or who don't have the luxury of self-isolating.  My heart goes out to all those people who, because we didn't take a strong enough stance on this virus early enough, will suffer and even die.  It is my hope that in the next day or two, Oregon and every other state will close all but essential businesses and "flatten the curve" so that our health care system does not get over-burdened and we weather this very real storm in relative safety.  

Stay well everyone.....and stay tuned.  If I do continue to find and watch nests (at the least) you may find this distracting as you stay home and stay the distance.     


No comments:

Post a Comment